Monday, 30 December 2013

Favourite M/M Books for 2013 Part 1

It's been a funny old reading year for me. I've read fewer books for a start and have been blogging less and less as more of my time is spent on my family and job. Despite that, I've read some cracking good books this year. Once again my tastes have moved more towards fantasy, paranormal and mystery and away from contemporaries. I've also read a lot of historicals as the quality of m/m historicals has risen a great deal in recent months.

I shall do my usual and put books into categories. I've had a shift around with the categories because I didn't read many m/m/m books but did read a few great futuristic books. Also, many of the books fit into more than one category so for example, a historical could also be a mystery and a paranormal. Anyway, I'll let the books speak for themselves and do half my list today and half tomorrow. All the books are ones which I have read this year and were not necessarily published this year.


Contemporary
The Apothecary's Garden by Julie Bozza
This author is a bit of a find for me this year. I love her intelligent writing and the way she manages to make a very large age gap work effectively as a romance in this book. Both characters were charming and the story has stayed with me long after I finished.  Review here.

Honourable Mention: Compulsion by Clare London



Mystery
The Magpie Lord by KJ Charles
A book which fits into several categories but the main plot is centred round an investigation into a family curse. Loved the characters and the way they are drawn to each other. Loved the setting and the build up to the plot. I can't wait for the next book which is due at the end of January. Review here.

Honourable Mention: Boystown 5: Murder Book by Marshall Thornton



Fantasy
The Archer's Heart by Astrid Amara
Wonderful sweeping epic of a fantasy that gripped me from page one. Review here.

Honourable Mention: Bound by Megan Derr



Futuristic
Barbarossa's Bitch by Angelia Sparrow and Naomi Brooks
Not one for the faint hearted but this sometimes chilling, sometimes heartwarming look at a post-apocalyptic society was compelling. The world building was detailed and intense. Highly recommended. Review here.

Honourable Mention: Zero Hour by Jordan Castillo Price



Science Fiction
Bone Rider by J Fally
This book had a cinematic feel to it that I found pleasing and in keeping with the fast paced plot. It was also chock full of humour and great characterisation. Mini review here.

Honourable Mention: Cold Front by Ann Somerville



Paranormal
Widdershins by Jordan L. Hawk
Another book that fits into several categories! I loved both books in this series, especially the two main characters and their opposite personalities. I'm looking forward to the next book. Review here.

Honourable Mention: Winter Wolf by SP Wayne



Horror
Stung by KA Merikan
Disturbing story with a sweet thread of romance running through it. One of the best zombie books I've read in that it turns the genre on its head and does something different. This will not appeal to everyone, but fans of horror will find it a treat. Review here.

Honourable Mention: Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot by Selah March



YA
Something Like Autumn by Jay Bell
A must read for followers of this series. It had me in tears but I loved seeing the events of previous books from Jace's point of view and getting to know him better as a character. Book 4 in this series can't come fast enough for me. Review here.

Honourable Mention: Glitter by Ayla Star



And that's it for today. Come back tomorrow for the last set of books, including my book of the year.

13 comments:

  1. I have never done one of these lists. I'm too lazy. I certainly read a lot less books this year. I'm no where NEAR meeting my GR goal. I suppose unless I read about 175 books before tomorrow. LOL Real life has a way of interfering with the best laid plans.

    I really must read the Magpie Lord. I've seen nothing but good about it. I love Astrid Amara's work but I've seen the paperback version of The Archer's Heart and it frightens me. It's HUGE. Widdershins sounds good too.

    I actually bought some books lately with the Christmas sales, of course none of these. LOL But I'll make note and hopefully pick them up soon.

    Looking for your next set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a GRs goal? I'm not putting myself under that amount of pressure :). I've only read 30 fewer books than last year so not too bad.

    I was intimidated by the size of The Archer's Heart too. In fact I bought that book at Yaoicon so it's taken me 3 years to read it. In the end, I decided that having read 7 George RR Martin stonkers, then that book seemed like small fry! It's a great book :).

    The Magpie Lord is a must. I don't think I've read a bad review of it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I think my GR goal was pretty much the same as the year before. I figured my life would take a similar path to the year before. HAHAHAHAHAHA Riiiight. I don't care much though if I meet it or not. Whatever.

      Oh, I bought the Lord of the White Hell at Yaoicon. I keep hoping some day there will be more adventures for those two.

      Delete
    2. I bought Lord of the White Hell too. Another great fantasy book. A sequel would be wonderful!

      Delete
  3. Golly gosh! I am so glad you enjoyed The Apothecary's Garden so much... I am really delighted to find it here amongst such excellent company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome Julie. I bought the book from you at the UK Meet and was very pleased that I had, especially as you signed it :). I've since read a few of your books and I have a couple more on my reader to read.

      Also, I'm looking forward to that m/m/m you promised you were writing :)

      Delete
    2. I certainly remember you from the Meet - partly because I like your name so much! :-)

      I'm just polishing off the first serious draft of A Threefold Cord, and I very much hope it will live up to your hopes and expectations. Thanks again for your support!

      Delete
  4. Bone rider is on my favorite list too for this year. looking on GR I noticed that I don't have many five stars books on my read list for this year. Either I have been a grumpy reader or I just haven't read the right books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bone Rider is an excellent book. I have fewer five star reads this year, maybe we're just becoming more picky :).

      Delete
  5. I'm pleased I have most of these on my TBR list, and because I admire your taste and your thoughtful recs, I know I've got things to look forward to in 2014 :) *rubs hands and reaches for kindle*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must confess I didn't read many published books in 2013, but I definitely like the sound of both Barbarossa's Bitch and Widdershins.

    And I love The Archer's Heart when I read it, but it is a big book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would definitely recommend both of those books.

    Yes, Th Archer's Heart is long, but worth the effort :).

    ReplyDelete

Comments are closed, sorry.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.