Tuesday, 31 December 2013

Favourite M/M Books for 2013 Part 2

Yesterday I gave you my first 6 books of the year, along with honourable mentions. It's been interesting to look back and think about some of the great reads I've had and to look at trends in my reading. For example, I've read fewer BDSM books, but more master/slave/captor/captive books, which get lumped into the same category for me. I've read only a few UF books, but I think that's because I'm not a huge fan of shifter books, and vampire books have dropped off the radar, with the exception of one or two. That's a shame because I love a good vampire romance. As I said yesterday, most of my reading has gravitated towards fantasy/paranormal/mystery and although I've enjoyed many of the contemporaries I've read this year, I've read a lot of so-so ones too with tired plots and cut-out characters. Yet people involved in writing and publishing m/m books are always telling me that contemporaries sell far more than any other sub-genre to the extent that some publishers won't take UF or fantasy or science fiction. Another great shame. Thankfully there are publishers out there who are willing to take risks, or authors who are willing to put money into self-publishing, otherwise I would have missed out on some terrific books this year.

Anyway, enough blathering on. Let's get onto the second part of my books of the year.


Urban Fantasy
Dead Man and the Restless Spirits by Lou Harper
Very well written and entertaining book about Denton who can see spirits and Bran who is a witch. I loved the interplay between the characters and Denton's sardonic dry sense of humour. Review here.

Honourable Mention: Spirit Sanguine by Lou Harper (a vampire book, yay!)


Action/Adventure/Suspense
The Hardest Thing by James Lear
Lots of action and swift plotting made this a fast ride of a book but it also contains superb characters who develop along with the story. Great stuff. Review here.

Honourable Mention: Every Move He Makes by Barbara Elsborg


Historical
Brothers of the Wild North Sea by Harper Fox
Beautiful and intelligent story set in the middle ages which has the unlikely pairing of a monk and a viking. Steeped in history with a dose of mysticism, it kept me riveted from the first page. Review here.

Honourable Mention: Provoked by Joanna Chambers


BDSM
Screwing the System by Josephine Myles
The BDSM is quite light in this book but I loved the pairing of the sensible, hardworking older Alisdair with a feckless, irresponsible Cosmo. They're an unlikely couple but the author makes them work. That, along with the author's lighthearted, deft writing, made this a winner for me. Review here.

Honourable Mention: Inherent Gifts by Alicia Cameron


Series
Captive Prince by CS Pacat
I was a little hesitant to include this as the series isn't over yet. The final book is out sometime next year - or it bloody well better be! However, it has been my favourite series started this year so far. It's a fantasy slave fic with complex characters and a story of love and politics which is reaching epic proportions. If you haven't read this yet, I recommend you wait until the third book is out or you'll be left frustrated and impatient!  Review here.

Honourable Mention: The Market Garden Series by Alexandr Voinov and LA Witt


Anthology
Irregulars by Nicole Kimberling, Josh Lanyon, Astrid Amara and Ginn Hale
You can't go wrong with a Blind Eye Book and this anthology proved to be both entertaining and interesting with its interwoven storylines and characters. Each story is unique but also connected to the others through the world building and I liked being able to spot the links between the stories. Review here.

Honourable Mention: Summer Lovin' by Pink Squirrel Press


Short Story
Giving an Inch by Heidi Belleau and Amelia C Gormley
Cheeky story which nevertheless left me feeling hot under the collar and contains hints of a dark past relationship. I loved how this short built up the tension and showed us the two sides of James. Recommended. Review here.

Honourable Mention: Sunshine and Buttercups by Danni Keane




Overall Book of the Year



This is the second book by this author on my lists this year and well deserved it is too. It's hard to believe that two years ago I started this book and stopped reading a third of the way through. This year I picked it up again and couldn't put it down. I loved the characters of Albert and Fletcher and the way their relationship develops in slow increments which mirrors Fletcher's investigation of a series of murders. The plot moves slowly but that was part of its beauty and by the end I felt like I had taken a worthwhile journey. In fact I was rather bereft when it was all over. Luckily the sequel/companion book was on hand to help with my withdrawal :). If you like mysteries/police procedurals and want to read about characters that aren't easy to like but with whom you will fall in love, then I highly recommend this book. Don't be put off by the length, it's worth investing your time in every page.


And that's it! As always I want to thank all the wonderful authors and publishers out there who produce these marvellous books. I also want to thank all the reviewers and bloggers out there who give their time to write reviews. I may never have read some of the books on my list this year had it not been for a review I've read or a recommendation from a fellow reader. I'm now looking forward to many more great books in 2014. Happy reading everyone!

11 comments:

  1. I just finished Spirit Sanguine and loved it :). And wow, thanks for the rec for Summer Lovin', I'm so glad you enjoyed it. You'll encourage us to do another antho sometime ^_~. Have a very happy new year x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too. I spent mine a stone's throw from where you live! I wish I could have popped round but I was visiting other friends.

      Delete
  2. Albert is great, I did a 're-read this year and I still loved it. I was very disappointed when the third part of captive prince wasn't out yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very impatient for part three of Captive Prince!

      Delete
  3. Lots of good ones there. I have read Jo's and Spirit Sanguine which i enjoyed. Must read the other as I like Lou's work. Sigh. I never seem to be able to keep up with all the good books. Maybe I need to stop randomly picking crap and stick to the ones recommended by people I trust, aka you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, listen to my sage advice :). You can't go wrong with any of these books. If you liked Spirit Sanguine then Dead Man... is a must read.

      Delete
  4. Heavens, Jenre! After featuring so happily in the Part 1 post, I had no idea Albert would find his way into Part 2, and in such a privileged spot, too. :-)

    Thank you so much. It's great that you've enjoyed so many m-m books this year, and my humble efforts among them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome. Albert sneaked into my heart despite his very prickly ways :).

      Delete
  5. I read and enjoyed Screwing the System, but I didn't love it. I can't quite put my finger on why, just that it didn't go the way I thought it would, which is a 'me' issue entirely :) Still love Josephine Myles' writing. I haven't read The Captive Prince, but it is on my TBR...although I will wait until the third book is released. And I have no idea why I haven't read Irregulars! I read a coda and was all 'ohhhh'. Hm. Maybe after my FCR re-read (just the first book re-read mind :)

    And I will have to investigate The Definitive Albert J. Sterne :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely wait until book 3 before reading The Captive Prince. I sent up a nooooooooooo! to the heavens when book 2 stopped at a critical moment :).

      Just the first FCR book? Ha! I don't believe you. Once you start a FCR re-read you can't stop until there's nothing left to read :).

      Albert Sterne is a nice long read and I know you like them.

      Delete
    2. Thank you :) And LOL WRT the FCR books. Just finished the first and then I'm going to read a couple of published books...and then go on with Three Traders!

      Delete

Comments are closed, sorry.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.